Exercise 2, Part 2
Take 19 steps out the door (I did back door), pace another 7 and you've established a radius to shoot from. 10 photos to post here as a result of this exercise.
First, I wish I had a bit longer legs and could have gotten about 5 feet farther out. ;^) Then I could have gotten into the kids sandbox! This exercise put me in the vicinity of the kids playground area (part of the reason I went out the back). One urge I had a hard time supressing was the desire to use the zoom function of my camera. Keeping in the spirit of this exercise I refrained...oh, it WAS difficult!
1st photo shows where I would have liked to have gone. The dog beat me to it - 100 degrees outside today.

2nd photo I found a bead in front of the swings. In color in looked ok, B/W was a bit dull, so I tried a sepia tone desat...still a bit dull. ;^)

3rd photo is an illustration of something everyone should learn in Photography 101...look first before you lay down on the ground for that prone position shot!!! Yikes! These little buggers (ants!) didn't waste any time finding their way into various body locations (I was wearing shorts).

4th photo is a straight-on shot of the 'Blue Ribbon - Bored' swing! ;^) Yep, it's a tire swing. Woo-hoo!

5th photo is a different approach to the tire swing; off-center in B/W. Looks kinda cool.

6th photo uses some leading lines? Leading to where I don't know, but it sounds good anyway. He-he.

Photo #7 I kind of like. Used a sepia treatment in post-processing. The trees in the background were more distracting in color.

In photo #8 the dog decided to come visit. She was in my radius...fair game right?

Ok....I'm starting to get a bit bored at this point. Thought about some shots looking up but it was hot and hazy...nothing fun to look at. So here we go with #9 and 10.
Photo 9 is, well, photo #9. Has some texture, fun lighting, interesting lines - not terrible eh? ;^)

Photo 10 is let's be done already! Kinda symbolic of play time being over...kids are in the house and the toy is left abandoned. Well - see you later toy, I'm out of here too! ;^)

Very interesting exercise. Glad I get to pick my subjects most of the time!
First, I wish I had a bit longer legs and could have gotten about 5 feet farther out. ;^) Then I could have gotten into the kids sandbox! This exercise put me in the vicinity of the kids playground area (part of the reason I went out the back). One urge I had a hard time supressing was the desire to use the zoom function of my camera. Keeping in the spirit of this exercise I refrained...oh, it WAS difficult!
1st photo shows where I would have liked to have gone. The dog beat me to it - 100 degrees outside today.

2nd photo I found a bead in front of the swings. In color in looked ok, B/W was a bit dull, so I tried a sepia tone desat...still a bit dull. ;^)

3rd photo is an illustration of something everyone should learn in Photography 101...look first before you lay down on the ground for that prone position shot!!! Yikes! These little buggers (ants!) didn't waste any time finding their way into various body locations (I was wearing shorts).

4th photo is a straight-on shot of the 'Blue Ribbon - Bored' swing! ;^) Yep, it's a tire swing. Woo-hoo!

5th photo is a different approach to the tire swing; off-center in B/W. Looks kinda cool.

6th photo uses some leading lines? Leading to where I don't know, but it sounds good anyway. He-he.

Photo #7 I kind of like. Used a sepia treatment in post-processing. The trees in the background were more distracting in color.

In photo #8 the dog decided to come visit. She was in my radius...fair game right?

Ok....I'm starting to get a bit bored at this point. Thought about some shots looking up but it was hot and hazy...nothing fun to look at. So here we go with #9 and 10.
Photo 9 is, well, photo #9. Has some texture, fun lighting, interesting lines - not terrible eh? ;^)

Photo 10 is let's be done already! Kinda symbolic of play time being over...kids are in the house and the toy is left abandoned. Well - see you later toy, I'm out of here too! ;^)

Very interesting exercise. Glad I get to pick my subjects most of the time!

3 Comments:
I really like the swing and the deck shots they really stand out for me as the best of the bunch. I could detect that you were starting to struggle after the deck, and these don't have the same 'sight'. But FP says that you won't start to learn until you have exhausted the obvious possibilities.
I've been back two or three times to the same spot and I think I learned a lot more from the third visit. I had exhausted all the obvious, and the not so obvious and had to really work hard to find anything at all.
Keep going its worth it.
You're right about the tire swing (#5). Kind of nostalgic.
I like the 2 tire-swing shots best. Next would be the sepia deck photo. Those are stronger subjects, I guess, and my eyes stay in the picture.
Post a Comment
<< Home