Thursday, July 28, 2005

Break Rule #1 (Rule of Thirds)

Trying to move the subject focus to different parts of the image was more difficult than I thought it was going to be. It seems that I'm on automatic pilot subconsciously.

I went out and bothered the horses to do this exercise. The flies were really bugging the horses (and me), so there was lots of movement going on. The weather was overcast and just starting to rain lightly...and yes, those are my shoes you see reflected in the horse's eye! ;^)

It's a toss-up between #1 and #5 for my favorite of this group.


Horse #1 - F4.0, 1/40, ISO 200
The subject (eye) in this image is supposed to be top-right oriented.

Horse #1 - Top Right

Horse #2 - F4.0, 1/40, ISO 160
The subject (eye) in this image is supposed to be bottom-left oriented.

Horse #2 - Bottom Left

Horse #3 - F4.0, 1/40, ISO 100
The subject (eye) in this image is supposed to be bottom-right oriented (I missed).

Horse #3 - Bottom Right

Horse #4 - F4.0, 1/40, ISO 200
The subject (eye) in this image is supposed to be right-center oriented.

Horse #4 - Right Center

Horse #5 - F4.0, 1/30, ISO 200
The subject (eye) in this image is supposed to be oriented correctly to rule of thirds, although it's a tad low and to the right.

Horse #5 - Correct Thirds

3 Comments:

Blogger glad2badad said...

Well...none of them are anything I would keep either as they are currently. Just messing around trying to break the rule. ;^)

8:04 AM  
Blogger Falc said...

Number one is my favourite. Having the eye up in the top left and the horse being side on has produced some nice clean lines. The others feel a little cramped to me.

8:37 AM  
Blogger dahkota said...

The first one is great. I think that composition works really well. 2, 3, and 4 remind me of my son's pictures - he found something that fascinated him and took tons of pictures! Except yours are in focus. :) This is a difficult rule to break when in has been 'pounded' into you for years. But I think you did a great job with #1.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home