Thursday, July 28, 2005

Break Rule #4 (Hold Camera Steady)

Well, this was fun, exciting, and scary all rolled into one. I wanted to try something different with camera shake, so I pulled out the bicycle and strapped on my camera.

Some parameters:
- The camera was hand held (that's the scary part - going downhill one handed).
- Camera set to shutter priority mode.
- Exposures were set to exposure compensation of -2.0 to try and reduce some light with the longer exposures.
- A polarizing filter (Cokin) was also attached.
- Images have not been post-processed, only resized.


Bike #1 - F8.0, 1/20, ISO 50
Faster shutter speed and tentative biker give this just a small amount of blur.

Bike #1


Bike #2 - F8.0, 1/5, ISO 50
This one is my favorite of the group. Just enough blur to be interesting, and it's not too overexposed.

Bike #2


Bike #3 - F8.0, 1/3, ISO 50
OK, I was REALLY moving downhill on this one! Almost gave it up right after this...

Bike #3


Bike #4 - F8.0, 1/3, ISO 50
Was moving along pretty good here too, but had a little more control and could keep the handlebars in view. I still had enough after this and decided to live another day. ;^)

Bike #4

2 Comments:

Blogger Falc said...

Hahaha - what a great series ;-)
All I can say is you are a nut, taking a camera on a bike .... expensive mistake if you lose it!

As for the images I really like the last one it definitely has 'action' all the way through. You can feel the vibration from the bike. The earlier ones don't tend to do so well in that regard.

I think you take on how to break this rule is very different to some of the others in the group. I like it.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Wyatt said...

Cool experiment and a fun result. Taking lessons learned, it could produce shot keeper-type shots. Except the biggest lesson learned might be "don't ride a bike one-handed and take pictures witht he other hand"!!

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home